Tuesday, February 10, 2009

My Favorite Sandwich...

When I lived in North Carolina I fell in love with Bennigan's Monte Cristo sandwich. Bennigan's was an Irish restaurant that had the most amazing food. I was longing for one of these bad boys for years. While in Florida with my brother Kurtis and his family, we came across a Bennigan's and they treated me to one of my old favorites. It was heaven. After returning home I found this copy cat recipe and it is EXACTLY like Bennigan's. I know you can get a Monte Cristo at Dee's or Gardner Village, but trust me you haven' t lived until you have tried it the Bennigan way.

Yes Whitney can be manly when it comes to our favorite sandwich

This is only half of the sandwich. Janika said "I can't get my mouth around it".

Morgan was just happy to be eating Cheetos.

This guy wants nothing to do with anything different so he had a grilled cheese. He is not fond of meat.

Something has to be wrong with Ivan because he doesn't like them. He thinks it is strange to deep fry a sandwich. So the short order cook made him a grilled club.

Don't forget about the raspberry jam. You dip these suckers in the jam and my homemade jam is super!

Here is the recipe. Try it, you'll like it! Warning don't try it if your are on a diet!

Bennigan's Monte Cristo

6 slices cooked turkey

6 slices Swiss cheese

6 slices cooked ham

6 slices American cheese

18 slices wheat bread

Batter

1 ½ cups all-purpose flour

1 Tbsp. baking powder

¼ tsp salt

1 1/3 cups water

1 large egg, beaten

oil, for deep frying

Powdered sugar

Red raspberry jam

Assembly of sandwiches: bread, turkey, Swiss cheese, bread, ham, American cheese, bread; cut in half diagonally. Whisk flour, baking powder and salt together to blend well. Add water to the egg and add to the flour mixture mixing well. Dip each sandwich half into the batter and deep-fry (oil must cover the sandwich) in oil pre-heated to 360° and fry until golden brown. Remove from oil to paper towels. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve with jam.

7 comments:

patsy said...

mmm that sounds good- deli at 5th in bountiful has one that my friend wende loves--

I would LOVE IT if you sent me the RS newsletter
sixandholding@msn.com

thanks :)

Grandma Bert said...

That sounds wonderful!!! Next time you make them, call me and I will be right over for a bite. That is probably all I could handle. I have never had a Monte Cristo but have heard they are great.

Kari Sweeten said...

That sounds soooooo good!

Straight to Your Hart said...

Deli on the 5th makes a mean one...but this one I bet would take it!! How good this looks...so not good to read about while hungry..

Can I kiss the cook???

DeAnna Dahl Kemple said...

I can not believe we both bloged about our favorite sandwiches at the very same time. Since I can't possibly get my Beef On Wick anywhere but Buffalo,New York I will have to have my next best a Monte Cristo.Only one thing no one in Utah can make a good one. The one you make is the best I have had since the real thing in Fayetteville,NC.As soon as possible I will try the deli in Bountiful!!

Donna said...

Mmmm, now I'm hungry! We have Bennigan's out here in New England but they recently all closed down. I think the chain is actually shutting down nation-wide. Good thing you have the recipe!

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh that looks delectable crazy ivan! Na my parents wont let me get the cute puppies just a dream! luv ya! luv Mckoy

 

Made by